Midland Valley Church of the Nazarene looks back upon its heritage with a heart full of gratefulness to the eternal God who has blessed this church so much over the years. We want to share just a little of that heritage with you, so that you will know us better. We continue writing new pages in our heritage. Please come and join us.
In August of 1938 a series of revival services was started in Langley, South Carolina as a result of one man's vision and willingness to obey the leadership of the Holy Spirit. Reverend E. N. Gunter was the evangelist with a vision. He was assisted by Rev. Lundon Hutto, who led the singing. Rev. Hugh Slater played the guitar and sang. These three great men felt that the Church of the Nazarene had a needed message of full salvation. They believed that God's blessing would be upon the church as they endeavored to start a work in what was known as the Valley. God did bless and with seven charter members Calvary Church of the Nazarene was born on August 23, 1938.
The first services were held in a rented tent. The Georgia District Superintendent was generous enough to lend Rev. Gunter $15 to acquire a tent. It is reported that it rained every night of the revival. However, this did not keep the people from attending. They came every night and held their feet high to keep them out of the water. A severe storm split the tent, but with needle and thread the three men were able to repair the tent.
With seven charter members, Roy W. Stewart accepted the call to be the first pastor. They worshiped in the tent until another storm completely destroyed it and forced them to hold services in the parsonage. Rev. Stewart led the congregation in building a new structure approximately half a block off Highway 421. New members were added regularly as the church continued to grow.
From 1944 to 1949, the message of salvation was preached and people responded. The congregation outgrew the original building and erected a new brick sanctuary on the corner of 4th street and Highway 421.
During 1972, the second building underwent remodeling. More additions including a fellowship hall and remodeled sanctuary carried the church through 1987. By this time the church had changed its name to Langley Church of the Nazarene and was one of the up and coming churches on the South Carolina District.
Only seven years (1997) later we expanded again to include a larger nursery and additional classrooms. In 1998, we opened the doors to the Midland Valley Children's Learning Center, our new full-time daycare and pre-school program.
In 2000 we have added a second Sunday morning worship service called SonRise Celebration that meets at 8:30 a.m. and features contemporary music, relevant drama, and casual dress. In January of 2002, we purchased an additional sixty acres of land adjacent to our present campus for future expansion of our ministries. The MVFCN property now extended down one half mile of frontage on US Highway 1, connecting Augusta, GA and Aiken, SC.
MVFCN saw the completion of a 6000 sq ft youth facility and a brand new Family Ministries Center (FMC) in August 2004. The FMC houses a new gymnasium with a High School regulation court and scoreboard, Midland Valley Christian Academy which shares 8 Sunday School rooms with the church, school offices, a commercially equipped kitchen, cafeteria, and beautiful sitting area in the lobby. The teen worship center includes 3 classrooms, a large worship area, the youth pastor's office, restrooms, kitchen and sitting area.
In 2007 we purchases 9 acres of property and land on the western edge of our existing campus to help with access points and future growth now giving us 84 acres of property on a hill that was once deemed unobtainable. God provides!
The 'Williamson property' includes a spring-fed pond, house, pool, pool house and a storage shed. The addition of this property gives us street access to the far, undeveloped side of our campus. Future plans for that property have not been fully developed but will fit into the long-term vision for the church.
On the last Sunday of August 2010, Pastor Kyle Poole became our Senior Pastor. Following his attendance at Nazarene Theological Seminary, he pastored in Texas, Alabama and Tennessee. Since his arrival, God has already used Pastor Kyle and his staff to help our church unite in our mission of "Bringing People and Christ Together." During his tenure we have added a 47 passenger bus, built a 'bus barn' to shelter vehicles, and changed our church name to Midland Valley Community Church of the Nazarene, which our leadership feels better represents the mission of our congregation.
We continue to reflect on the humble beginnings and appreciate the heritage we have. Our congregation comes from all walks of life united in the belief that we are here to "Bring People and Christ Together." Join us and become part of our mission at MVCC and help write the next chapter in the history of our church.