TNT (Top Nazarene Talent) Philosophy
The subject for spiritual gifts is one that the apostle Paul considered important enough to address at length three times in the New Testament. His words are strong: the gifts are given by the Spirit based on God's grace, not our own worthiness, and are given for the good of the whole body of Christ; gifts are from the Spirit and should serve to unify, not divide, us; the use of gifts to help the user and the recipient grow to maturity and stability in the faith. Perhaps his strongest admonition is in Romans 12:6, where he says (paraphrase), "If you have a gift, USE IT with all the spiritual power you have!"
Talent is a Gift from God
The principles used here can also apply to the use of one's talents. Our talent is a gift from God, and an indication of His grace, not our specialness. Our talents are to be used to help the church. Our goal is unity and maturity. God expects us to develop and use the talents we have to become the best we can be, with his power flowing through us as our spiritual resource.
Reach for the Stars
TOP NAZARENE TALENT is a vehicle by which talent can be developed, channeled, and used for Jesus. Teens are in a tug-of-war; the world wants their talents, their very lives - and so does the Church! We must be diligent to provide the quality of opportunities for personal development that challenge youth to their fullest potential, realizing that when they do so IN CHRIST, the rewards and fulfillment have the eternal significance that the world cannot offer. There is no room in the Kingdom for half-heartedness in the cloak of false humility - we must urge our teens to reach for the stars, because they know the One who made them!
Non-athletic competition is divided into two age groups – Early Youth (grades 7-9) and Senior Youth (grades 10-12). Individual athletic competition is divided into three age groups – Jr High (ages 12-13), Middle High (ages 14-15), and Sr High (ages 16-19). Team sports include all ages, with both single gender and coed teams. 1st, 2nd & 3rd place is awarded in each event. First place winners are eligible to compete at Regional (TNT@TNU). Non-athletic categories include:
• Bible Quizzing
• Vocal Music (solo, duet, ensemble, small group, choir & songwriting)
• Instrumental Music (brass, woodwind, percussion, strings, keyboard & instrumental group)
• Speech (impromptu, oral interpretation, original oratory, & storytelling)
• Art (chalk/pastels, graphic design, mixed media, oil/acrylic, pen/ink, pencil, still photography, water & 3-D)
• Math & Business (math & accounting)
• Creative Writing (poetry & prose)
• Creative Ministries (preaching, drama, interpretive worship, mime/human video, puppets, sign language, video production & worship band)
Athletic categories include:
• Individual sports: tennis, table tennis, swimming, running & skateboarding
• Team sports: volleyball, soccer, flag football & basketball – men’s and women’s teams; coed dodgeball, coed softball & coed ultimate Frisbee
There is a link below for complete rules and score sheets.
SC District TNT@ Midland Valley Community Church of the Nazarene
• Friday and Saturday, January 23-24, 2015; cost is $35 per participant, includes lunch; extra lunch tickets are $5 each
• Registration forms must be postmarked by Thursday, January 15. Faxes must be sent no later than Tuesday, January 20. Only changes will be accepted after these dates.
• Please be sure registration forms are filled out completely – students cannot be registered without complete birthdate (mm/dd/yy), current age, current grade in school & anticipated year of graduation.
• Participants should contact their youth pastor/NYI president for cost of the event. There is no cost for spectators.
Click here for district registration form
Click here for 2015 rules and score sheets
District Impact Team Auditions
Tour dates for 2015 are June 27-July 5. This is earlier than usual because of NYC.